Welcome to the Introduction of Leveling the Playing Field!
This first mini-episode is a quick introduction to the podcast and why I’m doing it. My goal is to share insightful conversations that inspire, touch, and connect with you each week. Make sure you subscribe, rate, and review on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, and RadioInfluence. com. Big “thank you” to the team that helped me to get this rolling. Next week, August 16, 2017, is the first full episode! I interview Sally Bergesen, CEO and Founder of Oiselle. Thanks to her for agreeing to be my first guest. It was a great time and I can’t wait for you all to hear it.
- There was a recent 40 under 40 published and there were six women on that list. Six. There are amazing women doing incredible things in our industry but we are still underrepresented in these types of lists.
- Why representation is so important: When you don’t see people who look like you in positions of power, leadership, or even just in an entry level job that you may want, you subconsciously may not believe that you can get that job or reach those levels. We may know logically, rationally, that we can achieve anything, right? Our parents, grandparents, teachers, all told us if we work really hard and do the right things, we can be anything. However, all of that positive talk and support is swept away by these subconscious thoughts.
- So that is the why of this podcast. When girls and young women hear the stories of women in the sports industry, they will begin to believe, and rightly so, that there is a place for them in the sports world. The podcast can serve as a resource for them in that sense.
- This podcast is not affiliated in any way with my employer. All opinions shared by me are mine alone and those shared by my guests are theirs unless otherwise stated.
- I will be using the word “sports” and term “sports industry” very broadly. I hope to highlight women in a diverse set of positions and wide range of businesses.
- Every once in a while, there may be someone on who doesn’t fit the definition. Know that I have brought them on because I believe that they have something to offer all of us.
- I have purposely decided not to set an arbitrary length metric. These are actual conversations and they will flow in a natural way.
- Most importantly, I really want us women to be better supporters of each other and stop feeling like there is only room for one of us. This mindset is why we see such competition among women. This is also why so many of us have felt like we have to be really tough or closed off. That stops now. We will see each other as multi-faceted humans. So the conversations will show these women as their authentic selves. And I promise to be my authentic self.